Course DescriptionTractor Tugs 3-Day Course (TRAC TUG-3)
The three-day tractor course provides knowledge and practical training in the theory, operation, and application of Voith Schneider and Z-Drive or "Reverse" Tractors. The course covers a number of areas in both the classroom and on the shiphandling simulator to demonstrate the capabilities and limitations of tractors.
Prerequisites- Master or Mate of Towing Vessels.
Suggested Courses/Skills- None.
- Understand how tractors could change the operation of your port by handling larger ship, reducing environmental restrictions, or by reducing the number of tugs required to handle a certain size ship
- Provide you with the knowledge to define the maneuvering mission of your port, and then to choose the proper tractor to meet this standard
- Tractor Commands and standard definitions
- The course will discuss in detail all phases of tractor design and performance including the three significant phases in the Voith design and four phases of Z-Drive designs that have been developed in the last ten years.
- Comparing tractor performance with conventional tugs
- Demonstrate the benefits of and when to use the unique higher speed tractor tug maneuvers
- What works and what doesn't when assisting or escorting ships
- Chock and bitt strength issues
- A review of the latest tractor techniques such as Tandem Tractors or "T2"
This course may be customized to incorporate company policies and procedures and / or combined with other training. It may also be taught offsite. For more information on how MITAGS-PMI can develop a “turn-key” training solutions for your organization, please call 1-866-656-5569 or e-mail Admissions@mitags.org.