Course DescriptionBasic Fire Fighting (16-Hour) (BT-FF-BAS)
This course (MITPMI-54) is designed to train seafarers in minimizing risk, maintaining state of readiness, and extinguishing shipboard fires. It combines both classroom and practical fire-field exercises in full turnout gear with live burns. This course is also part of the Basic Safety Training course. This module is one of the four elements (fire-fighting, personal survival, personal and social responsibility) necessary for STCW 2010 Basic Training (BT). BT is required for all mariners with safety or emergency duties sailing on vessels 200 GRT tons or greater on near coastal or ocean voyages.
This course satisfies the following STCW 2010 and CFR training requirements
- Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting per STCW Code Section A-VI/1; Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting per 46 CFR 11.302(a)(2) and 46 CFR 12.602(a)(2); Basic Fire Fighting per 46 CFR 11.201(h)(2) [Basic only] and 46 CFR 11.201(h)(3); AND The firefighting requirements for a national tankerman endorsement in 46 CFR 13.201(c)(3), 13.301(c)(3); 13.401(d); and 13.501(c)(3).
- NVIC 08-14 Tasks: 2.1.A, 2.2.A, 2.3.A, 2.4.A, 2.5.A, 2.5.B, 2.5.C, 2.6.A, 2.7.A, 2.8.A, 2.8.B, 2.8.C, 2.9.A, 2.9.B, 3.1.A, 3.2.A, 3.2.B, 3.3.A, 3.4.A, 3.4.B, 3.5.A, 3.6.A, 3.7.A, 3.8.A, 3.8.B, 3.8.C, and 3.8.D.
- NVIC 12-14 Task 19.2.A
- 46 CFR 12.602(a)(2)
- 46 CFR 11.201(h)(2)[Basic Only]
- 46 CFR 11.201(h)(3)
- 46 CFR 13.201(c)(3), 13.301(c)(3), 13.401(d), or 13.501(c)(3) for any tankerman endorsement
Prerequisites- There are no entry requirements other than general good health and the physical ability to safely carry out rigorous activities during “live” fire fighting exercises. Fire-field safety rules require all students to be clean shaven in order to ensure a proper seal with the self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA). Each student will be required to complete a screening questionnaire prior to training.
Suggested Courses/Skills- None.
- Understand the relationship of the fire tetrahedron to extinguish fire.
- Don and use personal protective equipment including self contained breathing apparatus.
- Extinguish a flammable liquid fire using various types of fire suppression agents.
Through classroom lecture and hands-on application of equipment, the student will gain cognitive and motor skills to allow him/her to: