Course DescriptionAble Seaman (AB)
This five-day able-bodied seaman course (MITPMI-1) is for mariners at the entry-level position. It provides you with the knowledge, understanding and proficiency to work safely and efficiently aboard today’s merchant vessels as a mariner with an AB Unlimited, AB Limited or AB Special license. Marlinspike seamanship proficiency is demonstrated by actually tying various knots, bends, hitches and splices.
- Marlinspike Seamanship, Shipboard Terminology
- Rules of the Road
- Aid to Navigation
- Watchstanding and Helmsman Duties
- Ship Construction and Cargo Handling, Anchoring and Mooring
- Fire Fighting, Towing, Deck Maintenance
- Shipboard Emergencies and Life Saving
- First Aid
- Marine Pollution
- Identify the fundamentals and requirements of standing a proper wheelhouse watch, lookout watch, and steps to properly relieve a watch
- Identify the fundamentals and state the requirements of being a helmsman of a Navigational Watch
- State the various emergency situations that may occur aboard ship and the proper actions that need to be taken in order to survive
- Identify the emergency radio equipment found aboard ship, which aids in survival and rescue; as well as a pyrotechnics and lifesaving signals.
- State the environmental protection procedures and regulations
- Define and identify common terminology associated with ship construction
- Define common terminology and definition as applied to the Navigation Rules of the Road
- Identify lights, dayshapes, and sound signals when used in accordance with the Navigation Rules of the Road
- Identify Distress Signals, and signals to attract attention
- Identify terms associated with ship construction and the basic components that comprise vessel structure
- State how to measure, advantages and disadvantages, and care of natural, synthetic and wire rope
- The written examination requirement of 46 CFR 12.405(a) for the “Deck General and Navigational General,” “Deck Safety and Rules of the Road;” AND
The “Practical Marlinspike Seamanship Demonstration” requirement of 46 CFR 12.405(c); AND
The written “Survival Craft” examination requirements of 46 CFR 12.409 for any endorsement as Able Seaman restricted to vessels without lifeboats; AND
The training requirements of STCW Code Section A-II/5, Table A-II/5, and the competency requirements of 46 CFR 12.603(a)(4); AND
The following Tasks from Enclosure (3) to Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circulars NVIC 14-14: 2.1.A, 2.1.B, 2.2.A, 2.2.B, 2.2.C, 2.2.D, 2.3.A, 2.3.B, 2.5.A, 3.1.A, 3.2.A, 4.1.A, 4.2.A, 4.3.A, 4.4.A, 4.4.B, 4.4.C, 4.4.D, 4.5.A, 4.6.B, 4.6.C, 4.7.A, 4.8.A, 4.8.B, 4.8.C, 4.9.A, 4.10.A, 4.11.A, 4.12.A, 4.13.A, 5.1.A, 5.2.A, 5.3.A, 5.3.B, 5.3.C, 5.4.A, 5.5.A, 5.5.B, 5.5.C, 5.5.E, 5.6.A, 5.6.B, 5.6.C, 5.7.A, 5.8.A, 5.9.A, 5.10.A, 5.10.B, 6.1.A, 6.1.B, 6.2.A, 6.3.A, 8.4.A, 8.4.B, and 8.5.A. Applicants are not required to present the completed record of assessment sheets when applying for STCW endorsement.
- Be age 18 years or older
- Provide proof of U.S. citizenship
- Pass a drug test
- Provide a valid medical certificate
- Complete the CG-719B application
- AB Unlimited: Mandates 1,080 days of deck service on a vessel transversing the Great Lakes or ocean.
- AB Limited: Requires 540 days of deck service on a vessel traveling U.S. rivers and inland lakes. The ship must have a gross register tonnage (GRT) of at least 100.
- AB Special: Demands 360 days of deck service on a vessel navigating U.S. bodies of water.
- AB OSV
- AB Sail
- AB Fishing
- AB MODU
Any student who completes the U.S. Coast Guard-approved able seaman course will satisfy the following Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) 2010 and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) training requirements:
How to Get an AB Endorsement
To get certified as an able seaman by the United States Coast Guard (USCG), you must meet these general requirements:
Additional requirements rely on your desired AB type, which can include:
Less common types of AB include:
Our ordinary seaman training courses provide the necessary skills to meet the above able seaman requirements.